STORYBOOKS FOR CHILDREN

STORYBOOKS FOR CHILDREN
Give a Book as a Gift

20 Dec 2018

An apology


1. I suppose I owe Din Merican an apology. In my post “A rather surprising remark” published on 12 October, 2016 I had refuted his statement that my father, M.I. Merican, used to work as Legal Adviser under Kedah Government.
2. I requote his remark below:

… My Grand Uncle, Dato Ismail Merican, Legal Adviser of Kedah under Tuanku Sultan Abdul Hamid was the first in my family to receive the award. …

I requote my comment on his remark as follows:

… As far as I know, my father had never been Legal Adviser of Kedah during his time in the Kedah Civil Service. However, he had been appointed Acting Legal Adviser in place of one Mr. C. W. Dawson according to an announcement in the Straits Time, 7 September 1935.

3. At the time I made the comment I had no knowledge of my father’s recall to duty during the Japanese occupation. It was about nine months later that I found out he was appointed Legal Adviser and Public Prosecutor during the war.
4. My comment on Din Merican’s remark was based on information I found earlier about my father's KCS career (1911-1937). He had never actually been appointed Legal Adviser during his 27 years’ service except that he stood in for C. W. Dawson as Acting Legal Adviser in September 1935.

No comments: