STORYBOOKS FOR CHILDREN

STORYBOOKS FOR CHILDREN
Give a Book as a Gift

21 Nov 2018

"I may collapse at any time."


Continued from last post.

1. The second time he applied for long leave was three years later in July 1919 when he was working as Registrar of High Court, Alor Star. It was a year after his appointment as Registrar. It went on smoothly as the Deputy Registrar was able to stand in for him while he was on leave for three months from 28 August, 1919 to 23 November 1919.
2. Almost two years later, in August 1921 he applied for another long leave. However at that point in time there was the problem of finding a suitable stand-in. Moreover the Adviser was doubtful as to whether the Registrar could be spared on account of the Courts Enactment was just on the point of being enforced.
3. Apart from that, it was a transitional period in his career. He was on the point of being appointed as Assistant Superintendent Monopolies and Customs and in consequence transferred to Sungai Petani. At the same time he was about to be appointed to carry out the work of special Translator of Enactments, etc. The translation of Enactments was of urgent matter, so decision on his leave was deferred until almost three years later when he was granted two months’ vacation leave from 1 April, 1924 to 9 May, 1924.
4. Then about three years after that my father, Office Assistant to Legal Adviser (L.A.), applied for four months’ vacation leave to start on 5 March, 1927. In his remarks, the L.A. (his Head of Department) noted that he had no objection but had no suggestions to make for carrying out his (Office Assistant’s) duties. He further noted that failing a suitable substitute the Department might manage without but that would involve a considerable slowing down in new Enactment work (translation of Enactments).
5. As there was no decision to his application by the time when 5 March had gone by, my father had suggested 6 April on which to start his leave. At the same time the Department’s Chief Clerk had also applied for leave. The L.A. was of the opinion that unless both could be spared at the same time the Chief Clerk should be allowed to go first as he seemed to have the better claim. The Adviser agreed with the L.A. that my father should await the return from leave of the Chief Clerk on 20 August before he was to take leave.
6. As he waited in vain for about four months, my father finally resorted to furnishing the Head of Department with a memo in which he wrote:
L.A.
Permit me to ask what action you have taken so far with regard to my leave of which I am greatly in need. I am supposed to go away this month and may I ask if you are prepared to allow me to do it?
            I have said that I am quite willing to do anything for you during my leave when the matter is of such an important character that my experience can meet such contingency. If I can’t get my leave I may collapse at any time.
                                                                                                            (Sgd. M.I. Merican)
7. The memo seemed to take effect. In his note to the Secretary to Government, the Adviser suggested that the matter be brought up at the coming meeting of State Council. He further noted that Mr. Merican was to be allowed to go on leave at once and was to be so informed and that the Council could confirm it.
8. Thus in its meeting on 11 August, 1927 the State Council allowed my father to have a four months’ vacation leave from 20 August, 1927 to 17 December, 1927.

to be continued

Note: Mine in brackets.

No comments: