STORYBOOKS FOR CHILDREN

STORYBOOKS FOR CHILDREN
Give a Book as a Gift

2 Nov 2016

A small river



1. There was a small river just a few yards behind my grandma’s house. It was one of the many tributaries of the Kedah River which had its estuary in Kuala Kedah and flowed northward through the state capital, Alor Setar. I started bathing and swimming and playing in the river since a small boy.

2. Eventually I acquired a rather good swimming skill. I still recall during my teachers college days, our swimming instructor would ask me to demonstrate the breaststroke, the backstroke or the butterfly to the other trainees because I could execute them quite flawlessly.

3. The river kept memories of my childhood days. Once, my big cousin asked me to come along for a dip. I thought it was going to be a relaxing occasion, but then as soon as we got into the water my big cousin started to immerse me underwater by pressing my head with his hand. I struggled to get to the surface for some air but gulped in water instead.

4. After a while he let me go and warned me not to be a busybody. Only then did I recall telling my uncle a little secret about my big cousin: that the latter was smoking behind his back. My big cousin made me swallow my anger. That was for minding other people’s business.

5. The majority of inhabitants along the small river were Malays, mainly rice farmers. One Chinese grocer’s shops and two Indian’s cater for the whole community along the small river. There was a Chinese family living far upstream where the river eventually narrowed into the paddy fields.

6. Back then the river was a means of transport. Boatmen would paddle along the river hawking mussels. Occasionally, a long boat belonging to the Chinese family living upstream would pass by, carrying either a full load of smelly pigswill upstream or a full load of full-grown pigs downstream.

7. Sometimes the long boat carrying its cargo passed by while we kids were having fun in the river. We loathed it very much. We would curse and spit every time it passed by our way.

8. After six decades had gone by; I still wonder how ridiculous it was then that the kampong people had turned a blind eye to the rearing of pigs in their community. Back then I suppose they were very tolerant of other races …

No comments: